Alienware High-Performance Systems

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General Discussion
 Winamp Radio Scheduler Forum : General Discussion
Subject Topic: New Version Wishlist Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chris Diack

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 November 2005 at 2:08am | IP Logged Quote Chris Diack

cyanidemonkey wrote:
Hi Andrei,

2 things I'd wish for

1. An option to load show ids /station ids into a instant play list that can be fired by hitting the F# keys.
So that a id can be played over the top of a track in a quite moment etc.

2. No repeats in random playing.

I had an idea about this, I no nothing about how WRS works with WinAmp, but maybe instead of making a list of already played tracks and checking against it, could you remove a track from a playlist once it has started playing, like WRS removes whole playlist?
The track will still finish playing even though it is no longer in the playlist. As long as the playlist can play long enough not to run out before the next show would this work?
I'm assuming WRS won't resave the playlist so it should reload as the full list next time it is called up.

This may be of help if you're using Winamp... Works for me

http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/files/Playlist_File_Remover_v2_ 0_Alpha_1.exe

There are a number of cute toys at http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/releases.html  which may help, instead of reinventing the wheel (grin) 

Andimateur

Posted: 27 December 2005 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Andimateur

Hello there!

Yesterday I found this program on the web today the stream on www.radiomikrowelle.de is working. At our station we have a lot shows produced by diffrent persons which  have a playtime of 52 minutes (they must be that length to fit in the system of the radiostation we cooperate with). However I would like to know if I can fill the 8 Minutes to a full hour with a global playlist.

For Example:

10:05 -> Job 1 starts containing one mp3 file 52 minutes
10:57 -> WRS recognizes the file ended and switches to a global playlist
11:05 -> Job 2 starts with again 52 (different) minutes

OK I could give Jobs on XX.45 every hour which cue in and wait for the show to end. otherwise WRS will repeat the last used job (one 52min show)

Is tehre already an easyser way to my problem? Greetings, Andreas

Back to Top View Andimateur's Profile Search for other posts by Andimateur Visit Andimateur's Homepage

Chris Diack

Posted: 06 January 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Chris Diack

After seeing developments in many radio automation systems I have narrowed down a wish list to these requests (so far).

• An audio level based crossfader, which starts the next event when the level drops below a specified point at the end of the audio track. Crossfading at "x" seconds before the end of the audio event does not work in the real world.  The SqrSoft crossfader is a good example except that it has limitations.  It could do with re-engineering to allow instantaneous switching from crossfade to non crossfade mode.  It's most redeeming feature is that, whether the outgoing audio is a cold finish or a long fade, it is most intellegent in it's detection of the crossfade point. SqrSoft would be perfect if it could have a switch like Raduga (~nn.mp3/.wav) which could over-ride the automatic crossfade point so spoken audio could be consecutively sequenced with spoken audio to eliminate unnatural crossfades.
  • Enqueue a new file at a specific time after currently playing item in playlist is most helpful, but an additional ability to jump down the playlist to start a new hours programming would be most helpful. We would like to overschedule each hour by "x" minutes (as it's impossible to fill each hour with 60:00 minutes of material) and start at the top of each new hour skipping the last remaining elements of the previous hour.  The reason why each hour cannot be perfectly scheduled is because the downloaded News, Sports News, and Weather bulletins from our FTP server are never exactly the same time duration. We schedule daily, not hourly, incidentally.  (800 odd items each day)

Some further reference material can be referred to in the Winamp forum http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=33df437a55daf2793c 8587d1877bf7f9&threadid=232576  and http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=33df437a55daf2793c 8587d1877bf7f9&threadid=154960  and http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=33df437a55daf2793c 8587d1877bf7f9&threadid=183521

As you can see, I've been flogging to death a number of theories regarding using Winamp as a simplified playout system for a number of years now, and using WRS with Winamp as the playout system is my preferred option (until something better/simpler is developed)  I've been very keen to work with a developer to make a simple, but functional automation system for some years now, and have spent thousands of hours researching and testing automation systems. I look forward to discussing with anyone who'll listen, the relative merits and downfalls of freeware radio applications for "Not for Profit" radio broadcasters/shoutcasters. 

Chris in New Zealand

Edited by Chris Diack on 06 January 2006 at 4:10pm

Subsonic

Posted: 30 May 2006 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote Subsonic

I'm very surprised that this isn't built in.  The ability to instantly play a scheduled track and not have to wait for the current track to stop playing.
Back to Top View Subsonic's Profile Search for other posts by Subsonic

Chris Diack

Posted: 31 May 2006 at 4:31am | IP Logged Quote Chris Diack

As I am always comparing automation software, may I refer interested people to http://www.zararadio.com which is undergoing some rapid development and http://www.mairlist.de/ 

Both are also freeware.  I hope you don't mind my referring you to these other pages.  I have no interest other than comparing features.

rotrc

Posted: 29 November 2006 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote rotrc

Has there been any news on an updated version of WRS? I'm using it with WinAmp2.95 to stream my Old Time Radio Stream and it works 'okay' though it's taken a lot of playing with to work it out.

I like the idea above - having WRS to fill the remainder of time until next job or up to the top of the hour with audio before the next job runs.

Take care.

Leigh....

rotrc

Posted: 29 November 2006 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote rotrc

...another idea would be a global option to clear the playlist when each job is loaded rather having to select it per job.

Don't know if this has been 'wished' already.

Leigh....

kf4ylm

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote kf4ylm

Andrei,

It's hard to come up with a punchlist for such great software -- simplicity is beautiful sometimes.  But, if you're looking for potential tweaks:

Stuff that we'd really like to see:

- Presently, if Win user is less than Admin, WRS doesn't allow job editing/creating, forcing you to change logins to a priviledged account to make job changes.  While we enjoy the protection of our joblist from the monkeys in the studio, it would be nice to have some sort of super-user WRS mode (password protected?) to allow job editing/creating while logged into Windows as a non-administrator. 

- A nifty tool to have on board would be an m3u list cop, which would look thru the list for faulty path references, and somehow notify the user of the potential problem.

- Similar to Chris Diack's suggestion: Need a way to smoothly transition into and out of hard-timed events.  Where overfilling a list of no prob on next list load, the issue comes if you're in the middle of a long track (+6 min) on job load time, and have to wait until it finishes before your scheduled job actually makes the air.  How about an "override window" -- where right now, loading a list waits until current song is done playing before advancing to entry 2 in the loaded list, have WRS watch the time elapsed from list/file enque to first file played out of the loaded list.  This way, if you have a hard time to meet, say with a remote stream or network join via icecast, etc, WRS could optionally force a jingle to fire, then force the next item in the m3u list in xx min : xx sec after the job has loaded.  Conversly, if the song ends before a minimum window, WRS could force a heavy rotation or jingle to play until the minimum time post-job-load is reached. 

- An option to fire off an email on silence sense to a list of addresses.  Thinking this could be useful for text paging/SMS notification of automation failure.  Guess you could tie it to any event with a custom message?

- A log browser... Something to sort by event, date, time, etc.  We've almost broken down to write our own in php, but....

- onMouseOver job detail briefs in the job list.

- This may be sticky -- how about a scheduler for job sets?  On date X at time Y, import job list Z.job .  Thinking here for special programming days (holidays, promotions, etc), where the normal list shifts around a bit, this would allow the user to create a special job list for the day or week, and cue that list to execute automatically at 00:00 Hrs, or when ever needed, on a rotation, or otherwise.

- Color fonts for job lists ...  set a particular job to be listed with a specific text color. 

- Option to list jobs chronologically by schedule, by last entered, alphabetically by name, looped then hard-timed or vice-versa.

Stuff to perhaps think about:

- Perhaps a "job group" display function -- where the user creates their own set of job groups (load m3u lists for latenights, for example) which can be displayed in the job list window, then collapsed or exploded as needed. 

- Common clipboard functions with job list -- Ctl-C/V/X/Z/A for list manipulation.  Job copy would be great for pseudo-template-driven job list creation.  "Select All" would make exporting jobs to a file super easy.

- Auto-build of jingles list?  Where WRS would dive into a folder (optional to do so recursively) to find tracks to add.  Or look for a pattern in the file name: "ID - *.mp3"  PRO - *.mp3"?

- Jingle kill date?  After X days, do not play jingle "Y.mp3".  Optionally, WRS could delete that file after kill date.  In the Auto-Build, set default time-to-live for new jingles imported into the list.  Perhaps similar function could be added to Heavy Rot.?

That's probably enough for one verion up, eh? 

Thanks for 3 years of worry-free automation at WUVT-FM!!!!!

- Josh
      Petty Officer, WUVT-FM Signal Corps
Back to Top View kf4ylm's Profile Search for other posts by kf4ylm Visit kf4ylm's Homepage

kf4ylm

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote kf4ylm

One last thing in the "like to see" category:

- When clearing and loading a new m3u list on the fly in Winamp, Winamp assumes that it's already playing the first entry in the new list, and skips to the second entry after the current song is done.  We've overcome this by inserting "dummy" entries at the tops of all our lists -- something like an ID or short imaging liner so that in case it does run, it's ok -- to hold a place for Winamp's current song, so that when it advances to track 2 in the m3u, we're playing the track we desire.  So, it would be helpful on jobs where one executes "Clears Winamp Playlist" and "Load m3u list" at the same time to have the option for WRS to stick in a dummy file automatically -- a jingle or even a blank 1-second mp3 file -- so that Winamp picks up at the top of the new list, instead of one track deep.
Back to Top View kf4ylm's Profile Search for other posts by kf4ylm Visit kf4ylm's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version